Wednesday, April 23, 2014

My Run with Diane

We had a fantastic Easter!

We had plans to travel to my parents house in New Jersey for the holiday and my sister Kathleen was having Easter dinner.

When we were making our plans, my friend Diane sent me a message to see if I wanted to do a color run with her and a few friends that Saturday. I am a little leery of color runs with my asthma and said no, but asked if she could maybe run the Monday after Easter.  She was available and a plan was set.

I met Diane for the first time at the Philadelphia Marathon.  I was so excited to be able to see her again!

On our drive to Jersey, I sent Andy a message to see if he could run Monday with us.  He, of course, had to work but asked if I could run Tuesday night.  He and his family were doing the UPC Life Without Limits 5k which they have done the last several years.  They raise money and run for Andy's cousin Maddie who has Cerebral Palsy.  After a little back and forth with Mr. RWM, I told Andy we would be there.

Our drive was uneventful and we arrived at midnight.  This time we were staying at my sister's house who lives across the street from my parents. Picture, Everyone Loves Raymond.

The kids were so excited Easter morning and tried everything in their power to get out of going to church.  I was not having it, such a mean mommy!  We were going to an unfamiliar church and they survived. I think the egg hunt that the Sunday school had helped.

By the time we got back to my sisters, the house was already smelling delicious.  Kathleen made a most fabulous meal and it was so nice to have the whole family together. It was such a joyous day.

I spoke with Diane that night to firm up our plans to run in the morning.  We were meeting at 10 at the Art Museum in Philadelphia.  Mr. RWM drove me because driving + city = Nicole lost forever.

It was a sunny warm day, and I was happy to be able to wear a skirt and my Women Run Boston Strong shirt.  It was, after all, Marathon Monday.

For some reason, my Garmin never found a signal and that pissed me off but I was able to turn on Endomondo.  Diane was up for 4 miles and that was fine with me.  I may have over done it the day before with the food, pie and candy.

Our run was on Kelly Drive, which was also part of the Philadelphia Marathon route. I was so happy to be back there running.  To be with a friend only made it that much better. The only thing missing was Barb, who ran Philly with me. I miss her so much. Barb is about to run her sixth marathon!  She will be running Pittsburg on May 4th. Way to go Barb!

Diane had a rough winter and her running took a backseat with so many snow days and a little one at home, but she was running great!

We talked the whole way, laughed and just had an all around good time.  The time flew by and we both felt good.

A friend had sent her a Flat Stanley and asked if she could take a few pics with him.  We stopped at her car to get him after our run and headed to the Rocky Statue.  We got our picture taken and then we met Mr. RWM at the steps of the museum.



I asked Diane if she ever ran the steps like Rocky and she said no.  Well, guess what, me either so lets do it!

We took a running start while Mr. RWM videoed this historic event.  We ran the whole way and I may have sung the Rocky theme song.  When we got to the top we jumped up and down just like Rocky. It was awesome!

We snapped a few more pictures, walked around a bit and then unfortunately, we had to say goodbye.  I can't wait to run with her again. We may not live close by, but we will run together again.

Once we were home and I showered and had lunch, we headed out for a little shopping.  My mom has been wanting to get out more and walk.  Not far, just around the neighborhood but her feet hurt so much.  I had her try on Saucony's and she liked them as soon as she tried them on.  Later that night we went for a walk and she loved them!  With her old shoes, one loop around her neighborhood and her feet hurt.  We looped around three times and she was pain free! Happy walking mom!

Check back tomorrow for my recap of my race with Andy. For now here are a few pics from Easter.

My family.

Had to!

My parents, Gracie and George.

Easter bunny left a lot of eggs!

Beautiful basket my sister made for everyone.

Just fun!

The kids and the bunny.


Run Strong, Think Big! ~ Nicole




5 comments:

  1. Fun that you got to run the "Rocky" steps:) Can't wait to hear how the race went!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was fun! I am a little behind on my race recap. One more day.

      Delete
  2. This is so great. I love the report of your trip and the video of running up the steps! [Sarah]

    ReplyDelete