Friday, December 14, 2012

Thankful Mommy

This morning my daughter had her Christmas play/service at her preschool.  My son went there for two years and now my daughter is in her second and last year.  Kindergarten for our littlest next year.  How did that happen?

I was very excited about today.  She had been practicing the songs that they were planning on singing, and today when I saw the program, I found out that she was playing the part of Mary.  This thrilled me!

Unfortunately, Mr. RWM had to miss it.  This is not the first thing he has missed and it won't be the last.  Usually, I am good with it, but for some reason, I was having a hard time dealing with it today.

It was a lovely morning and my little girl did an excellent job.  I snapped lots of pictures, but screwed up with the video and, well, there isn't one.  Can't even tell you how bummed I am.

From there, we headed over to Kidzone for our Moms Club Christmas Party.  Again, this will be the last one we attend.  I joined this group when my son was 4 months old.  It has played a huge part in my life and I will miss these little playgroups.
Another great time at Kidzone!

We were having a great time, when we heard about the shooting in CT.  No real details at that time, only that it was a school.

When I got home and turned on the news, I was devastated.  I felt sick.  I lost it.  I don't need to tell you what happened or link you to a web site.  You, I am sure, are feeling just as sick as I am.

When I thought about my son at school, my first reaction was to go and get him.  After a moment though, I knew that was not the right thing to do.  I did, however, pick him up instead of having him take the bus home.

He was excited to see us and I just said, "Happy Friday!"  He loved it!  Once in the car, I asked them to pick where they would like to have dinner and then we were going to go home, put our pajamas on and watch a movie.

We headed to the Mews which has great burgers and 69 beers on tap.  Nice choice kids!

Dinner was great!  My kids and I just sat and talked about their day, what was good, what was bad.  They dug the music that was playing and even danced in their seats a bit.  We laughed and enjoyed every minute. It was exactly what I needed and I will never forget it.

At home we chose the movie Brave.  Then we read books and I put them to bed.  I hugged and kissed them good night, I tucked them in and told them how much I loved them.  I got hugs and kisses back and was told how much they love me.  This is how every parents night should end.

I cannot even imagine what is happening in the homes of those families tonight.  And honestly, I don't think I really want to know.  Tears, anger, questions, just to name a few.

And those poor babies who lost their lives today.  Scared, wanting their mommies and daddies.  It is killing me to think about it.

I am not writing this to upset anyone.  I am writing because it helps me, just a little.  Those of you who  blog, know what I mean.

I will never understand why things like this happen and I am sure you won't either.  The only thing I can do is pray for the victims and their families.  I can hold my children and do everything in my power to keep them safe.  But here is the thing, school is supposed to be safe and I think ours is, but I bet every one of those parents thought their kids were safe too.

Sorry, it's just hard for me to wrap my head around this and I should stop before I make myself and you crazy.

So, I will end with this.  My son has this book called the Dude Diary.  He has not been able to put it down.  There is a section for him to write his own story and at our super cool dinner tonight he started to write it and I had to share it with you. These are his exact words, title and all.  Hope it helps you smile.

Running With Mommy by Jr. RWM

Many people like running. I went running with my mom.  It was fun.

I ran two miles.  It was fun.

Love that kid!  He wants to run tomorrow and I am looking forward to it.

You have all seen my shirt, Peace, Love, Run and I really feel that in my heart.  I wish for peace everywhere, I hope you all have love in your life and I hope you find happiness in your runs.

So my friends, Run Strong, Think Big!



2 comments:

  1. You're a fantastic mommy, and I know your kids will never forget all you do for them! Those events are so tragic and only make us so much more thankful for what we have! Beautiful post! So very well spoken! Spa <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, Nicole... I'm so glad you had such a sweet day with your kids. What an awful, awful, tragedy. It just makes me so sick to my stomach. I definitely understand that writing can be therapeutic.

    ReplyDelete