Friday, January 4, 2013

Bringing In the New Year, Frosty Style

Sorry, this is a few days late.

The party that started here in November has come to an end, so the last couple days I have spent "taking my house back."  Another words, cleaning, laundry and de-Chirtmasfing.  There is just a little more to do, but I am close to "normal."

New Year's Eve, as you know, is my favorite night of the year.  We invited friends to our house to celebrate and it was so much fun.

Food was awesome and the drinks did not stop.  And for the first time, we had people stay until midnight!  This thrilled me!
Me and Mr. RWM

Our kids were party animals and they rang in the New Year with us.  My son, was asleep right after, but my little one wanted to keep going.  She sure is funny, but after about 10 minutes she was down for the count.
Little party animals!

I was in bed by two, which is really late for me, but with no where to go on the 1st, this was not a big deal.  I knew everyone would sleep in.

By 10am, I was up and having coffee and I knew I wanted to go down to the  town beach to participate in the Pier Plunge.  I did this for the first time last year and thought I would be one and done.

I told Mr. RWM that I was going to which he replied, "Really?!, are you serious? Again!?"

Yup, get dressed because I need you to take pictures!

My daughter was already up but it took a little coxing to get my son up. Once he started moving though, he said he was running into the ocean with me and put on his swim trunks.  Ummm... ok, sure.

I was pretty sure he would back out, but I went along with it.

We registered and found a few friends.  I was glad to have the company.

The beach was covered in snow.  This was a big difference from last year when it was 60 degrees.  This year it was 38!

Last year, I only had flip flops with me and that was a mistake.  My toes hurt because they were so cold and that was one of the worst parts.  This year, I had warm boots for my son and I.  It made a huge difference!

Again, I thought as my son took off his jacket he would back out, surely he would when his bare feet were in the snow.  No, I was so wrong.

With just a few seconds to go, we lined up and counted down from 10.  Then we were off!

It is a bit of a shock when you get into the water.  It was cold and I looked down at my son and told him he could go back, that he did a good job.  I wanted to go in a little further but he said he was coming with me.
Little man is in the green and I am holding his hand.

We went in a little further and it was at this time I realized the water was up to his chest.  It gets harder to breath the longer you are in and it was clear to me that it was happening faster to him then it was me.  I knew we had to get him out so I said,  "Woohoo, you did great!  Let's get out of here!"

We ran out, bundled up in our towels, jackets and boots, snapped a few pictures and got to the car as fast as we could.
Freezing but smiling!

Once in the car, I realized that my son was probably the youngest person there.  They had prizes for the oldest and I bet we missed out on a prize for being the youngest.  Oh, well, there was no getting out of the car now.

Once home, we both took a long, hot shower and then headed to his best buds house.  Best Buds mom ran into the ocean with me which is why I like her.  Clearly, we are both nuts!

My son is a rockstar and has already said he wants to do it again next year.  I guess this will be our new, New Year's Day tradition and I think that is wicked cool!

So, now on to some workouts.  No running yet. My workouts are basically doing the exercises that my PT has put together for me, which I can do at home but I will get back to the gym on Monday to step it up a bit.

I am registered for a virtual race that I will do on Monday.  This will be my first for my 13 in 2013 and I am looking forward to it.  She extended registration until the 6th, so you still have a chance to join in if you want.  I plan to run/walk it on the treadmill as this will be easier on my body.

I hope your New Year is off to a good start!

Run Strong, Think Big!







1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is so awesome! Your son is so brave:) (you too). I did a 5k and polar bear plunge last year. It was in the 50's, so not too cold. This year it was 30 so I skipped it:) BRRRRR

    ReplyDelete