Sunday, July 21, 2013

Off To a Good Start

Well, training started and things are good.

My first training run was three miles that I ran outside.  I went out a little later than I wanted to and it took me three minutes longer than I had hoped but I felt good the whole time.  I did come home knowing that 10 am runs were not longer an option as it is way too hot for that.

Tuesday was run number two.  I dropped George off at Basketball camp but had no one to stay with Gracie while I ran.  I did not have the motivation to push a 5 year old in the stroller or the patience to listen to her complain about the heat.  I am not so sure she would of complained, but I wasn't taking a chance.

I headed to the gym. I love my gym but I have not been there since April because I prefer to run outside.  They have a great playroom for the kids and Gracie was excited to be going.

Training called for three miles.  Normally, running on the treadmill is boring.  You all know what I mean.  However, this was a fantastic run.  It was so nice to be in the A/C and I was running at what I consider, my normal pace.  I felt great.  My spirits were lifted with such a good run.  I left there knowing that I will hit the gym for a run at least once a week during the summer. The speed work will be good for me.

Thursday, I met Beth, Elaine, Mary and Linda again for our last long run before the Blessing, 9 miles.   We met at 6:30 and Elaine was going to be about 10 minutes late. She told us to go without her and she would catch up.  I am so inspired by my speedy friends.

We took off and fell into conversation about our week.  It was warm and the streets and beach seemed more crowded then the week before.  I do live in a vacation spot, so...

Right before we hit two miles, I looked back and saw Elaine.  It didn't take her long to catch up and then the 5 of us went on our way.

Because it was hot and we were running long, I had arranged for Mr. RWM and kids to meet us with water and gatorade.  We passed them at 4 miles but thought it would be easier to go the 4 1/2 and then turn around.  To my kids disappointment, that is what we did.  We made it to where they were parked at exactly five miles.  It was such a treat to see them and just wonderful to have the gatorade and fill up our water bottles.  Wish I could have that kind of service for every long run.
Our water crew.

Mile 5, hydrating and still smiling.

After that quick water stop, we started to break up a little.  Elaine and Beth in the lead and Mary, Linda and I just a bit behind them.  That only lasted a mile and then I was behind Mary and Linda.

My hamstrings and calves were really tight and I stopped and stretched but it wasn't enough. I still ran but at a much slower pace then the rest of the gang.  I kept Mary and Linda in my sight but there was no way I was catching them.

I was fine until I realized I did not have my phone and the road started to curve and I psyched myself out that I would be lost, hurt or worse and no one would find me.  This was just my head playing silly tricks on me but boy did I pick up my speed until I was able to see Mary and Linda again.  LOL

Once we were back at the beach, I didn't worry so much about being alone.  Tons of people were out and I knew I would be fine.

When I approached our meeting spot, the girls had beach towels out and were stretching and chatting.  I loved seeing this and was in desperate need to stretch my hamstrings and calves.  I was a little afraid that I would need help getting up once I was on the ground, but I was pleasantly surprised that I got up just fine.

From there we headed to the Coast Guard House for our after run beer, chips and salsa! Sitting there, talking to my friends I couldn't help but be thankful for every blessing I have in my life.  My family, my friends, running, and our health.  I am so looking forward to seeing these ladies on Friday for the race we have trained so hard for.  If nothing else, it should prove to be a super fun time!

The last training run of the week was a 3 miler.  This I did Sunday evening.  George has been asking to run with me for a couple days now and I thought this was a good time.  I assumed he would stop somewhere between 1 and 2 miles.  He did not.  He walked a little more than I would of liked but he stayed with me the whole three miles.  The next race he is registered for is September and I have no doubt he will do well.

George can be stubborn and moody and hard to talk to.  Every time I run with him though, he has real conversations with me.  Sometimes the conversation is silly and sometimes it's serious but they are real and I will treasure every one.

In other news, we finally got our fourth and last door installed.  Our home renovations have been a slow and unsteady process but we are getting there.

And lastly, since I was preregistered for The Blessing, I was able to pick up my shirt and number a week early.

Do you worry about your numbers? I don't really. I tend to just go with the flow but some numbers are cooler than others.  This one, 1072, is a good one.  72, the year I was born, 10, my favorite month, my sons birth month, and how many miles we will be running. What does it all mean?  Nothing, but I would love to hear your thoughts.

17 weeks to Philly!

Run Strong, Think Big! ~ Nicole


  1. I do the same thing with numbers just for fun. Love the water crew!

  2. Love the water crew! Great week and fun to run with friends :)

  3. I'm not a runner, but have the greatest admiration for you moms that do.
    Looks like you have a great team there!
    And love the french doors.
    Have a wonderful week.

  4. What are you running in Philly - the Rock and Roll Half Marathon?

    I enjoyed reading your training update; it sounds like the week went well. Thanks for sharing your post at Motivation Monday! Looking forward to reading more of your progress.

    1. Thanks! No I am running the Philadelphia Marathon. It will be my first marathon.