Saturday, February 11, 2012

Run for Sherry

Beth from Shut Up and Run, organized a Virtual Run today to honor her cousin Sherry.  I know you have all heard about this and I hope that some of you were able to get out and run, walk, ride, swim, etc.

I picked up my friend JA and we headed down to the beach.  It was in the mid 30's today and snow/raining.  After we found someone to snap our picture, off we went.  Because of my back, we walked.  It was really nice to be able to talk and walk and get to know each other better.  JA and I have only been friends since September.  Ours sons are now BFs.  She is super fun and I am glad we hit it off.  She is a runner who stopped for a while and is now getting back into it.  Yeah you, JA!
Me and JA

The walk was cold and once we turned around, I had a hard time seeing out of my wet glasses.  No worries though, we were here to honor the memory of women whose life was cut way to short.  She was a wife, mother, daughter, friend, and teacher and she was loved by many.  Beth has said that people from all over the world are participating in this event.  How amazing is that!  I am still so new to running, but have found a wonderful community of people who have and continue to inspire me.  

Along the way, we saw a few other walkers and runners out, we were the only ones who had Sherry bibs on.  One man who was walking his dog stopped us to ask what the bibs were all about.  We told him and I am sure he finished his walk today with Sherry on his mind.  

I was happy to be able to do this.  I have thought a lot about Sherry and her family since January 7th.   I cannot even imagine what that must feel like.  I am angered that her husband was robbed of growing old with his wife.  I am angered that her children were robbed of having a mother.  I am angered that her future grandchildren were robbed of a grandmother.  I am angered that students lost a great teacher.  These are things that each and every one of us is entitled to.  No one has the right to take that from us.  

What do we do with this anger?  Well, I think, today was a great start.  I will never forget Sherry and I hope her family can find peace and heal.  I pray every day that her body is brought home so her family and friends can say a proper good-bye.  We all deserve to be able to walk out our door and feel safe and I hope that message got across today.   I am pretty sure the earth shook with all the running today and that makes me proud.  Thank you for reading and running along with me.  

Run strong, think big and RIP Sherry!

8 comments:

  1. What a great post. I'm glad you were able to get out there for Sherry and all runner moms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm angry, too. Thanks for sharing. Stay safe and hope you're back to running soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you got to get out and walk with a friend! And I love that you could share the story with someone else in the process. Great summary, I agree-- it's hard to know how to respond, but this was a good start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! Yes it was nice to share the story. Because of the weather, there weren't many people out, but it was still good.

      Delete
  4. agreed! this is definitely a great post. i am so amazed at how much the running community has come together through this experience! so glad you were able to get out and dedicate your morning to Sherry! thanks for sharing your feelings, thoughts and experience with us! and thanks for all your kind comments :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julia! It truly was amazing to see everyone come together!

      Delete