Sunday, February 5, 2012

Super 5k and Birthday Recap

I woke up today and had every intention to walk the 5k.  I have not been given the ok to run yet.  I am feeling better and it was a beautiful morning.  I got there and registered and met up with my friends, TL and MB.  The race today was TL's first.  I didn't want to miss it.  I realized early on that there really weren't too many walkers.  This made my anxious.  I don't know exactly why, I guess because I was hoping to not be the only one.

We went down to the start line and I got in the back of the pack.  There were 381 participants today.  The gun went off and I started to walk.  This did not make me happy, I wanted to run so bad.  Where I was there were some walkers but it didn't make me feel better.  I thought to myself, "just try it, see how you feel."  So that is what I did.  I was slow but I felt good so I kept going.  I ran most of the first mile at a 12:10 pace.

I was so happy to run, it felt great and I know I was smiling the whole time.  About 2 minutes into the second mile, I saw MB and she look great!  A minute after that, TL passed me and she looked strong.  I was so happy for her.  I finished mile 2 at 24:?.  I just don't remember the seconds sorry.  I did most of my walking in the last mile but it was down Ocean Road and the view is beautiful.  I crossed the finish line at 38:29 with MB and TL cheering for me.

Me, TL and MB
I have to say that this was a really nice race.  It was a totally flat course and you can run it fast if you want to.  Probably a good one if you want to PR.   It starts and finishes at a hotel, so we got to use real restrooms.  That is a huge plus.  They had a pasta lunch for us when we got back inside the hotel.  Parking was easy and close.  Not to mention the view.  I would do this race again.

I am also happy to say, that my back and knee, so far, feel good.  I hope it stays that way.  I will have to come clean to my therapist either way on Tuesday.  Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Now on to my birthday!  I had a great time on Thursday.  DH and I were able to have coffee together in the morning after we got the kids to school at a little coffee shop.  We have been doing this when he is home now that my youngest is in preschool.  It is like a little date and I love it.  Later, two of my greatest friends took me to one of my favorite restaurants for lunch and drinks.  We had a wonderful time.  For dinner, DH and the kids took me out for burgers and ice cream.  I couldn't of asked for a better day.

The Birthday Girls!
My Beautiful Cupcakes!

On Saturday, me, DH and 9 of my friends, plus my mom and dad had dinner at Mariner Grille.  the food and service was excellent.  They were very accommodating for such a big party.  Instead of cake this year, I had cupcakes from Silver Spoon Bakery.  Holy cow, they were the best!  I chose two kinds, Cookie Monster and Bubbly.  Let me tell you, it was hard to choose but I know I made the right decision.  Everyone really enjoyed them and I have leftovers, Yeah Me!  For those of you in Rhode Island, I highly recommend both of these places.

So far, 40 is fabulous!  I am happy that my first race is done and I am hoping I am ready for the 10k in April.  Did you race this weekend?  How did it go?  What are your Super Bowl plans?

Run Strong, Think Big!

3 comments:

  1. So glad to hear that you were able to run pain-free! And that sounds like the perfect birthday. I love coffee shop dates. :)

    ReplyDelete