Saturday, May 3, 2014

Newport 10 Miler

This was the second year that I ran the Newport 10 Miler.  It was also just the second year of the race.  I loved it so much last year and knew that I would run it again.

It's a fantastic course, with scenic views on Ocean Road and Bellevue Avenue where some of the Newport Mansions are.

Photo curtiosy of Elaine.

I did sign up last minute as I was just making sure that Mr. RWM was going to be here to stay with George and Gracie.  Elaine was also signed up and we planned to drive together.

Packet pick up was very easy.  Loved the shirt this year!

I went to bed a little later than I wanted to and had a rough nights sleep.  When the alarm went off, it would of been very easy for me to turn it off and stay in bed.  But after a moment, I got out and got dressed.

It was a little chilly and damp when Elaine pulled into my driveway.  I was happy that I went with long sleeves and capris.  I wore my hat because rain was supposed to be on and off through out the morning.

Now, going back a couple days, Jessica of Keeping Mommy Sane sent out a tweet asking who would be at the race.  After a few messages back and forth, we had exchanged numbers and planned to meet each other, finally, in person.

Once inside Fort Adams, we picked up Elaine's number and then headed to the inside restrooms.  It was warm and no line just yet.

Soon we got a message from Jessica and we ran out to meet her. It was quick but always so nice to meet a fellow blogger in person. I realized too late, we didn't snap a picture.  Silly bloggers!  Elaine and I headed to the bag check and I finally took off my light jacket.  It didn't feel as cold as I thought it would.

One last potty stop, and then we headed to the start.

I didn't really have a goal for this race. Last year this course was a huge PR for me and I finished in 1:45.  I was pretty sure I could finish in 1:50 give or take a minute.  I was also running alone. Something I rarely do anymore. I took my iPod just in case.

The cannon went off, which is a super cool start.  I wished Elaine a good race and knew I wouldn't see her once the crowd spaced out.

I found a good pace right off the bat, but it took me a while to get right in my head.  I was questioning why I was running and why so long?  I can't say why that happened, maybe I was just tired. But it only lasted for the first mile.  This course is beautiful and you just can't help but be happy and thankful that you are able to run and is such an amazing place.

I grabbed some water at the first stop and was just watching and listening to all the people around me.  There were a few interesting conversations going on and that kept me entertained for quite some time.  In mile three, I was passed by a guy I knew from my run club that I really never run with.  At the second water stop, I saw him standing alone, I am guessing waiting for a friend to come out of the PP.  I stopped and said hello and we talked for a good two minutes.  I wasn't worried about my time or else I would of kept going.  It is always nice to catch up with a friend.

Pretty much after that, I kept a steady pace and was feeling pretty good.  And then I got to mile seven.

I remembered mile seven from last year. It is a hilly tough mile but I was ready for it this year.  Or at least just knew it was coming.  I pushed through and heard a group of girls coming up behind me. They were struggling but laughing and just cheering each other on.  I piggy backed on that and we got to the top of the hill together.  Seven is the toughest mile and the beginning of eight is no better, but I never stopped running. I also looked at my watch at this point and realized I could finish pretty close to last years time.

I could see the turn coming up into Fort Adams.  There was still more than a mile to go.  I thought about turning on my iPod here and starting up my power songs, but then I saw Elaine.  She snapped a few pics and then ran with me into Fort Adams.  I still had to swing around to the finish, and I was so happy crossing the line.  My official time 1:48:34. (Yes, I would stop and talk still if I could do it all over again.)


Elaine and I headed to the food tent, grabbed a few snacks and then got our bags.  As soon as I stopped, I was freezing and I couldn't wait to put my jacket on.

We headed to the beer garden but stopped to get a pic with the Fort Adams Army guy.   How fun!

The beer tasted so good and so cold.  It was a last minute thought, but I did throw my gloves in my bag before I left the house.  It made holding the beer so much easier.

Jessica caught up to us in the beer garden and we got that pic we forgot to take earlier. She had a great race and I hope I see her again.

BTW, Elaine killed it in 1:24!  Way to go my friend!

Again, Gray Matter put on a fantastic race and I will do it again next year. As you know, I love the ten mile distance and there are not too many of them.  This is a great one and if you can, you should check it out.

On the triathlon front, well, swimming sucks.  I am doing it but still struggling a bit. I am not giving up and have been in the pool every day.  I have two more lessons and I think it will all come together. I just hope sooner, rather than later.

I will be getting outside on the bike more now that the weather has finally taken a turn for the better.  Looking forward to that.  I will be also doing some of my training bike rides with Beth. She has some serious bike rides coming up because she is doing the Pan Mass Challenge.  For those of you who don't know, it is a two day bike ride for a total of, I think, 187 miles.  How cool is that!

Beth and I are also going to be running the Cox Providence half marathon this weekend.  It has been a long time since we ran together and I can't wait. I will also be meeting another runner/blogger friend who will be running the full.  I can't wait to meet you Sarah!  She is pretty new to blogging but not writing. You can check out her awesome blog here.

I will post about my sixth half marathon next week. I am sure it will be an excellent weekend.

Run Strong, Think Big! ~ Nicole


No comments:

Post a Comment