Monday, January 9, 2012

Disappointed, Then Relieved and Then Excited

Not too long ago, I entered a contest to win a slot for the Cox Providence Rhode Race.  They were looking for runner/bloggers who wanted to run the half or full marathon.  To enter, you had to blog about why you wanted to run the race.  You can see my entry here.

I have to admit, that I was a little nervous about getting enough miles in before May.  Most people assured me it was plenty of time.  But one of the Run Like A Mother ladies thought that my goal was a little too hefty.  This freaked me out.  They are experts when it comes to this kind of thing.  They have been running for many years.  Between the two of them, they probably ran more miles than I ever will, not to mention the many, many races under their belt.

I decided to leave it up to God and what happens, happens for a reason.  Today, in an email, I got the disappointing news that I would not be one of their winners.  First, I was bummed, but not for long.  This I think is a blessing.  Although I think I could of finished the race,  it would have been a struggle.  I wish nothing but the best for the chosen Rhode Scholars and all the Cox runners.  Go get 'em guys!

So having said that, I have a plan for the year and this one I am sure is doable.

February 5th, The Super 5K.  (Not sure if I want to run in the snow, so not signed up yet)

April 7th, The Jamestown Bridge 10k.  (already signed up)

May 19th, The Narrow River 10K.  (still need to register)

TBA, The Blessing 10 mile.  (not open yet but it is usually in July)

And drum roll please!  October 14th, The Amica Half Marathon!  (will be signing up after this is posted)

There are plenty of great races in this area and I am sure I will add to this as the year goes on.  For those of you in the area, I would love to run with you.  Let me know if you can make any of these races.

Now I am really excited!  This will be my first full year of running and I think it is looking good.

The one other thing I would like to do is volunteer at a race.  Set up, clean up, handing out water, whatever is needed.  I have a message into the Rock and Roll Half Providence organizers to see if they are looking for volunteers.  This is a race on my radar, but not for this year.  Have you ever helped at a race?  What did you think?

If you haven't shared your goals with me yet, I would love to hear them.  It will nice to be able to keep each other motivated and on track.

Run strong, think big!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry about the disappointment...but it looks like you have a great year of races lined up! A half in October is totally doable...I'm excited for you! And just caught up on your previous few posts...what a bummer about your lost medal. :(

    ReplyDelete